Wednesday, September 11, 2013

wafia

Credit: Genevieve Althea Photography
While everyone was fretting about the world ending or doing our Christmas shopping last year, Wafia was busy working on her first EP. With less than a year in the music scene Wafia has already won the accolades of many, an admirable feat for a young musician.
Wafia took a few minutes to speak to ROMM about her inspirations and shared her favourite tunes for spring!
When/why you started making music?
I started making music in early 2012 and began working towards my first EP purely for my own sake. Not really with the intention of selling it or whatnot, but because I wanted to have something of mine out in the world. I didn't really mind if people hated it because it was just meant to be an experience and a representation of myself at the time. 

Who influences you/what inspires you?
I think it's absolutely beautiful and tragic the way we choose to interact with other humans and I think that's what inspires me most. 

Any notable achievements?
24,000 plays of my single 'Alice' in it's first 24 hours of release on Soundcloud. That was a big, big thing for me. Selling out my first ever Melbourne headline show, that was also an absolute dream come true. Those are probably my personal favourite achievements because when I released my single and planned my tour, I didn't think really anything would come of it so it's all just very humbling. 

A short playlist of my favourite songs at the moment?
St. Clarity - The Paper Kites
Tiderays - Volcano Choir
The Breach - Dustin Tebbutt
New Slaves - Kanye West
Ironworks - Baths
Melt - Chet Faker
Dréan - Could Boat

You can follow Wafia on facebook, bandcamp or her website.